26.01.2023 11:52 PM
EUR/USD. U.S. GDP growth was better than expected, but the dollar reacted weakly to the report

The euro-dollar pair reacted erratically to the latest US GDP report. Initially, the price fell to the lower limit of the 1.0850-1.0950 range, then returned to the area of the 9th figure, but eventually returned to the 1.0900 mark. The most important macro data did not help EUR/USD traders to determine the vector of price movement. Bulls could not overcome the resistance level of 1.0950 (the upper line of the Bollinger Bands indicator on the daily chart), bears, in turn, could not even test the lower limit of the price range (1.0850), within which the pair has been trading for the second straight week. Conflicting signals of the report did not allow market participants to prioritize the downward or upward direction.

This image is no longer relevant

In my opinion, bullish sentiment will remain, although the attack on the limits of the 10th figure is on hold for now, probably, until the February FOMC meeting. And yet, despite the bears' pressure, the pair is still trading within the above-mentioned price range. This suggests that traders "do not trust" the greenback and do not risk to keep short positions when approaching the target of 1.0850.

Conflicting reports

It is quite understandable that both bulls and bears are indecisive, because the latest GDP report is controversial. On the one hand, it came out in the green zone, on the other hand - the US economy growth slowed down in the fourth quarter compared to the rates of the third quarter.

Thus, the US economy grew by 2.9% in the fourth quarter, exceeding estimates of 2.6%. The difference is relatively small, but the green part of the data played its part: 10-year bond yields rose, the S&P 500 futures sagged, and the dollar strengthened its position across the board in the moment.

The structure of the report suggests that consumer spending, which accounts for 68% of GDP, increased by 2.1% during this period. The growth rate of this component slowed down somewhat (in the third quarter, the indicator reached 2.3%), but for the third consecutive quarter it exceeded the 2% level. Take note of the growth of consumer spending, investment in private goods, an increase in government spending and investment in fixed assets of non-residential funds. Among the most noticeable disadvantages are a significant decline in investment in fixed assets (by almost 27%) and a decline in exports.

The dollar also received support from another report. US durable goods orders jumped more than 5.6% in December 2022, coming much higher than the market estimate of 2.4%. According to analysts, this was fueled by a flush of new contracts for Boeing passenger planes. Excluding the rebound in orders for transportation equipment, durable goods orders edged down by 0.1%. This report was published during the US session.

After the fact

Thursday's macro data did not dramatically change the situation for the pair despite their importance. Traders are still certain that the Federal Reserve will raise the interest rate by only 25 points at the end of February meeting. According to the CME FedWatch Tool, the probability of realization of this scenario is estimated at 99%. As for the March meeting, the preliminary results are even more interesting: the probability of a 25-point hike is estimated at 85%, while the probability of maintaining it is 14% (and just 1% chance of a 50% rate hike at once). In other words, even after the latest report, the market hypothetically allows for the possibility that at the March meeting, the members of the US central bank will keep the rate at the February level.

Also keep in mind that there will be another important release in the US on Friday, January 27: the benchmark PCE index. According to early projections, Friday's report will show a further slowdown in the growth of the index. Thus, on an annualized basis, the index should come out at 4.4%. If the estimate is confirmed (not to mention the lower values), then we can talk about a stable trend (consecutive three-month decline), amid a slowdown of the consumer price index and the producer price index. Growth or deceleration of this index will play an important role, especially in the light of contradictory data on the growth of the U.S. economy.


Despite the fact that the market interpreted the latest macro data in favor of the dollar, the bears could not build on their success and failed to cross the lower limit of the established price range of 1.0850 - 1.0950 (Tenkan-sen line on D1 - the upper line of the Bollinger Bands indicator on the same chart). This suggests that short positions in the pair are still too risky. In my opinion, the pair will keep striving to consolidate in the area of the 9th figure, that is why it would be better to consider the bearish declines as an opportunity for opening long positions. If the underlying PCE index disappoints the dollar bulls, they will probably try to approach the upper limit of the 1.0850-1.0950 range.

Euro vs US Dollar
Select timeframe
Start trade
Start trade
  • Grand Choice
    Contest by
    InstaForex always strives to help you
    fulfill your biggest dreams.
  • Chancy Deposit
    ฝากเงินในบัญชีของคุณใน $3,000 และรับ $8000 ไปเพิ่ม!
    ใน มีนาคม ทางเราได้ออก$8000 ภายในแคมเปญ Chancy Deposit !
    คว้าโอกาสที่จะชนะด้วยการฝากเงิน $3,000 ไปในบัญชีเทรด เมื่อทำตามเงื่อนไขนี้แล้ว คุณก็จะกลายเป็นผู้เข้าร่วมแคมเปญ
  • เทรดให้ดีแล้วคว้ารางวัล
    เติมเงินในบัญชีของคุณอย่างน้อย $500 สมัครเข้าร่วมการแข่งขัน และลุ้นรับรางวัลอุปกรณ์ติดต่อสื่อสารแบบพกพา
  • โบนัส 100%
    โอกาสพิเศษของคุณในการรับโบนัส 100% จากเงินฝากของคุณ
  • โบนัส 55%
    สมัครรับโบนัส 55% สำหรับการฝากทุกครั้ง
  • โบนัส 30%
    รับโบนัส 30% ทุกครั้งที่คุณเติมเงินในบัญชีของคุณ

Recommended Stories

The meetings of the ECB, the Bank of England, and the Fed are over. What conclusions can be drawn?

The market has been anticipating the central bank meetings in March for a while, and in recent weeks, analysts and market participants have been actively arguing about how much this

Chin Zhao 18:44 2023-03-23 UTC+2

EUR/USD: Bullish rally slows down

The banking crisis has done some of the work for the Fed. Even Jerome Powell admitted that the series of bankruptcies has the same effect on the economy as raising

Marek Petkovich 15:30 2023-03-23 UTC+2

Australian dollar found its place in Forex

The stronger the system, the more opportunities the central bank has to raise rates. The stronger its currency. In this regard, the Australian dollar looks attractive. Australian banks are well

Marek Petkovich 13:37 2023-03-23 UTC+2

Fed now has less work to do, says Fed Chairman Powell

U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell stressed Wednesday that the Fed may now have less work to do. During the press conference, Powell leaned towards a dovish stance

Irina Yanina 11:41 2023-03-23 UTC+2

ECB stands firm on its position

Euro rose as market players were pleased over the Fed's interest rate decision yesterday and statements made by ECB officials. The latter is increasingly convinced that the eurozone banking system

Jakub Novak 11:38 2023-03-23 UTC+2

Fed will continue to pursue its inflation target

Dollar slipped a lot after the Fed announced its decision on interest rates. Although the accompanying statement was very much about how the recent turmoil will not change the committee's

Jakub Novak 11:15 2023-03-23 UTC+2

Jerome Powell fails to persuade investors

Yesterday, the Federal Reserve increased interest rates for the ninth time in a row. In its statement, the FOMC noted that further rate hikes were not out of the question

Jakub Novak 09:08 2023-03-23 UTC+2

EUR/JPY. Lagarde rushes to the rescue: the euro has strengthened its position amid the rhetoric of the ECB head

ECB President Christine Lagarde addressed the members of the European Parliament's Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs. Her rhetoric supported the euro, which strengthened its position throughout the market –

Irina Manzenko 22:50 2023-03-22 UTC+2

The dollar will be saved and then it will drown

Shocks come and go, but markets remain. It has been a long time since we have seen such shocks as in March. Investors raised the federal funds rate ceiling after

Marek Petkovich 22:50 2023-03-22 UTC+2

Will gold and other commodities resume rising on the back of the Fed's "soft" rate decision?

After gold started to rally exactly two weeks ago, it entered a bearish correction this Monday and Tuesday, but then it started to rise again, albeit a moderate one. Investors

Pati Gani 22:49 2023-03-22 UTC+2
ระบุคำถามไว้ได้ใน แชท.